Thursday, January 30, 2014

Happy National Croissant Day

If you're a croissant lover like me, today is your lucky day. Cuz guess what? We are dedicating this lovely Thursday to CrOiSsAnTs in America! It's a common misconception that croissants originated in France (suck it, France. You don't own croissants). Regardless of where they come from, January 30th is USA's opportunity to celebrate the soft, flavorful, flaky, beautiful, buttery bread that is the CROISSANT. Thank god for national holidays; so many of our foods deserve a day of praise. I just looked at the list and I've already missed so many great ones (National Spaghetti Day? Peanut butter day?! Bittersweet Chocolate Day?!?! God forbid I miss Semi-sweet Chocolate Day... Friends, save this link in your favorites bar). Anywho, I'm stuck in my Weather class and all I can think about is heading over to the cafe I work at to snag an almond croissant. I'm kind of nervous we'll already be sold out (we only get 4 almond croissants delivered to us daily, WTF), and I don't really know what I'll do if I can't have one. I NEED ONE. But I guess we'll croissant that bridge when we get to it (see what I did there...). Also, I can't help but feel the need to listen to Kanye's "I Am A God" on repeat today... He is, after all, quite the croissant connoisseur as well.
You should really listen to the whole song, but if you're impatient, jump to 1:57ish. YEEZUS WANTS HIS CROISSANTS, GOD DAMMIT.

So enough with the croissants already (update: I went to my cafe and we were SOLD OUT. I got a bagel instead. pissed about it). I'm sorry if this post's title lead you to believe I would solely be discussing croissants, but there are other things (far less important than food holidays) that are going on in my life that you need to know about.

To start, I gotta get it off my chest that I landed that job at Free People's Home Office in Philly! I'll be doing PR for the company and I am so stoked that I don't think it's fully hit me yet. I'm going to the EAST COAST! Granted, it's only for two months. But I can still say I lived on the East Coast at some point in my life, right? I turned in my formal acceptance this morning and now all I can think about is finding the perfect apartment with my friend Linnea and saving as much as I can to travel on the weekends (NYC, DC, Jersey beaches, etc). Needless to say, this summer is gonna be full of radness and you can bet your ass I'll be blogging all about it (ps- still haven't heard anything about the collab blog I'm supposedly starting. hence my semi-present existence here). Also, I think my roommate and I have ultimately decided against kitty adoption for the time being. However, I now have plans to adopt in Philly, as future roommate Linnea is, too, a feline fanatic.
My building's lobby... wtfperfection
Muh future city

In other news, I took a 24-hour trip home to Portland on Saturday with 3 of my college friends and it reminded me of why Portland is one of the greatest cities in the country. While giving them a tour of my favorite spots, it hit me that not everyone is lucky enough to grow up surrounded by such an awesome community. I grew up 20 miles outside of downtown but I still resonate with the city deeply. Sure, my friends grew up in San Francisco, Tokyo, and Southern California, so they didn't have it all that bad. But what I loved was that each of them adored my city. One friend even wants to consider moving to Portland. When people tell me how much they love my hometown, I'm like SHWING! I KNOW! It's small enough to feel intimate but big enough to get lost for the day; friendly enough to say hello to a stranger but unfamiliar all the same; it's cultured, progressive, green, basic, complex, and errthang in between. Above all, it's filled with underrated restaurants, book stores, museums, and parks that could make even the most technologically-addicted twenty-something-year-old turn off their beloved iPhone. Is that a bold statement? Yes. And it's a true statement, too.
Alana, me, Kelli, Katherine, and Lydia in Portland (#azns5evur)

I'm no foodie, but I am definitely a food addict. There's nothing I love more than discovering new things, and last weekend I discovered quite a thing. Quite a great thing, actually. It's called Sweedeedee (they don't have a website, but they do have a tumblr page feat. cat vids. great find, right?). It's a quaint breakfast and lunch spot with a kinfolky-vibe (think mason jars everywhere, clashing coffee cups, local everything). And most importantly, the food is DELICIOUS. I can see myself frequenting this place in the future if I ever move to North Portland. Or driving there because it's so worth it.
Sweedeedee Breakfast Plate, effing classic.
And a Portland tourist trip isn't complete without a pitstop at VooDoo Donuts!
I think this photo speaks for itself.

In summary, I'm having a major love affair with Portland and Seattle. I feel like they are so similar, it's just wrong not to favorite one over the other. Despite today's post centering around Portland, lately, I've been LOVING on Seattle. I want to rave about my recent Seattle obsession, like, RIGHT THIS SECOND, but I seriously cannot type anymore today because I'm a rambler. Aaand this entry is probably so long that people stopped reading post-croissant rant.

SO, I'm gonna cut this short and leave abruptly. Have a good rest of your Thursday!


+

No comments:

Post a Comment