Friday, January 31, 2014

Nighttime Music

I just want to preface this post by saying I'm no music critic. The last thing I ever plan on doing in my life is becoming a reviewer. Yelp reviews? LOVE THEM. So helpful. Album reviews? Yes, please. But I typically like to leave the reviewing and criticizing up to the experts, and I am no expert in any field, really. When it comes to music, my mantra tends to be "Any way the wind blows / Doesn't really matter to me" (love ya, Queen). Some people find this extremely annoying. "You don't have a favorite artist? What genre do you like best? You haven't heard so-and-so's newest album?" UGH, LEAVE ME ALONE. I like what I like and I'm not going to apologize if I listen to three of Kendrick Lamar's songs on repeat and have never heard the rest of his album.

With that being said, there is a handful of artists that I can't help but obsess over. Even in my youth (I'm talking middle school days), I fell in love with some musical groups that, to this day, I am faithful to. I'm like a little puppy and these artists are my owners. I'll never stray. As I've grown up, so have these bands. It sucks because it's no longer fun to crush on dreamy lead vocalists such as Ben Gibbard (hi, you're 37. also you're not that cute but you have an A++ voice), Rivers Cuomo (43, the dude could basically be my dad), James Mercer (also 43...smh), and Julian Casablancas (okay you're 34 and to be fair i'm still into you because you're the face of one of my favorite bands of all time).

I'm now 22 years old and at that point in my life where I should be beginning to find older men attractive, right? WRONG. I think guys my age are the cutest. Physically, at least. I'll never love another like I love my favorite bands, but I've been wondering to myself: Where are all the good guys? Where are the Bens and Rivers and James and Julians of today's generation?... Oh, there they are: Avicii, Calvin Harris, Steve Aoki (jk you're old), more DJs, computer artists, etc. NOT. Actually, I honestly don't hate hate hate EDM, I just prefer to fall in love with the guy behind the mic, going to his shows and trying to make eye contact, pretending like he wrote that song specifically for me. Ezra, if you're reading this, the answer is YES I will absolutely marry you. You're perfect (and thank god for VW, couldn't have made it thru high school without you). You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one...

The point is, I finally have decided to open my heart up to new things. Have you heard of Night Moves or Night Beds? Don't get it twisted like I did, the two are completely different. But recently, these babes are my men. I don't love John Pelant (NM, 24) and Winston Yellen (NB, 23) just because they're downright sexy. They write and produce beautiful music that is wise beyond their years. I've been following Night Beds since its infancy when I heard one of Yellen's first songs, "Even If We Try," but Night Moves is new to me. Only knowing a few tracks of the latter, I was excited to see them perform live in Seattle last weekend. Night Beds was set to open for Lord Huron, but last minute, Night Moves filled in. Going to the show was fate for John and I. It was love at first sight, my friends. He is one of the greatest performers I've ever seen. You know that feeling when you just know you get someone? Watching him on stage, I felt like I was the only person in the room and he didn't even realize anyone was watching him. He's so young, raw, and passionate about his music and it was enough to make me lurk like a stalker after the show to meet/talk to him and buy his overpriced vinyl. On the plus side, I confirmed my suspicions of him: he's freaking perfect. Also, he signed my copy and put "xoxoxoxo" next to his name. And he asked for my number.*
Night Moves: John <3 (left). Mickey and Mark are cool, too though
Night Beds: Winston Yellen. Swoon.
Guys, if you're still reading this post, PLEASE do your ears a favor and listen to Night Moves and Night Beds. It's so frustrating that there are so many talented people out in the world and their voices aren't heard. I promise, you'll fall in love. And if you don't, you can just leave.


The only time it's ever been okay to take a mirror pic #ezra

* yeah he didn't actually ask for my number

+

1 comment:

  1. Videos not available in Germany. :// PS. I love your blog.

    ReplyDelete